Gourmet route Eisacktal
The "Eisacktal's Gourmet Route", a guide to the best inns and wine lokals of the area, gives details of selected restaurants and hotels, cultural information and culinary events between Gossensass and Klausen.Localities in the region
A journey for gourmets through kitchen, cellar and local culture! Many restaurants in the Eisacktal along the gourmet route devote themselves to produce regional specialities from the kitchen and cellar, including well stocked wine cellars with a good selection of wines from Eisacktal and products from the local countryside.
The menus are varied, as well as it is the cultural landscape: medieval towns like Sterzing, Brixen and Klausen, picturesque villages, ancient mines, monasteries, fortresses and castles which bear witness to a time long ago, and the charming landscape of the low mountain range dotted with chestnut groves and vineyards.
Between spring and autumn one culinary treat follows another:
- The "Fine Cuisine" of Eisacktal starts in March;
- In May Brixen revolves around wine;
- "Street kitchens" with their distinctive atmosphere typify summer evenings in the Eisacktal Valley;
- The "Joghurt Days" in Sterzing take place between July and August;
- The "Dumpling Day" in September turns Sterzing into a Mecca for gourmets;
- October is full of delicious experiences with the "bread and strudel market" in Brixen;
- If you're looking for the high spots: Enjoy the "Speck Feast" in Villnöss with its specialty ham and bacon, as well as the "Sunnseitn Apple Week" in Natz-Schabs;
- During the hiking season in late autumn Brixen's "Kuchlkirchtig" - a gastronomic hike - takes place;
- And at the end of October and the beginning of November is taken up with the chestnut during the "Keschtnigl" (chestnut speciality weeks) in Feldthurns;
- But the grand finale is the tradition of "Törggelen" : from October to the middle of November the vintners cottages open up their doors for tastings of the new wine.