How to reach Lake Prags
All year round, nature lovers from near and far come to Prags in order to see the picturesque lake and to hike in the surrounding area. To protect the nature idyll – part of UNESCO World Natural Heritage – and to make the arrival easier to visitors, traffic is limited in Prags during the summer months.
Access with means of public transport
In fact, it is generally recommendable to come to Lake Prags by train and bus, as it is the most sustainable and stress-free option:
- From Niederdorf with line 442 (timetable as pdf)
- From Welsberg with shuttle service 439 (only from 10th July to 10th September - timetable as pdf)
- Before 10th July without reservation and also with the HolidayPass or other advantage cards.
- From 10th July to 10th September only with online reservation and online payment; HolidayPass etc. are not valid during this period.
- As soon as the places are fully booked, access by shuttle bus is no longer possible.
For the shuttle service no. 439 as well as for bus no. 442 from 10th July to 10th September, 5 € are charged per person and trip, 3 € for kids between 6 and 13.99 years. Kids up to the age of 6 can travel for free, four-legged friends at the rate of 3 €.
Access with the own car
Reaching Prags with the private car is possible via Pustertal state road too. In this case, traffic jams and problems may be possible at any time. In addition, the road between Schmieden and Lake Prags is closed from 9:30 am to 4 pm from 10th July to 10th September 2021! At that time, it is only allowed to drive in with a special permission or if you are guests of local accommodations and restaurants.
Parking at Lake Prags is limited and subject to charge. Parking reservations are possible from 10th July to 10th September.
On foot or by bike
At any time and without restrictions, you can also reach Lake Prags on foot or by bike, for example from Schmieden (approx. 1.5 hours of walking time, 45 minutes of cycling time).
Tourist office Prags
+39 0474 748 660