Quality symbols of South Tyrolean accommodations
Today there exist lot of different accommodations with diverse offerings for every taste and every purse.
Depending on their needs, some prefer a luxury vacation with sky pool in a 5-star hotel, others prefer to spend time with their kids on a farmhouse, and still others find a private holiday flat practical. The guests’ expectations and requirements vary and so it is not always easy for them to choose among the considerable number of stays. How is it possible to know the accommodation standard and what do the stars, flowers and suns mean?
The different classifications show what to expect from the stay and help to find the proper living quarters. The symbols are a kind of quality seal, and the accommodation must fulfil certain criteria in order to meet the requirements.
The most common quality symbol for hotels - the stars.
- Reception is equipped with a seating area and staffed part-time
- General lounge for the guests
- Comfortably furnished rooms with beverage offer and telephone
- Sanitary area with hairdryer, toilet, and shower/bathtub
- Bed linen changed at least twice a week, daily on request
- Breakfast buffet, 3-course evening menu or buffet
It meets all the requirements of a 3-star hotel and offers a lot more: an à la carte restaurant, a hotel bar, or a lobby with seating and drinks service are available.
- All requirements for the 3-star category are met. In addition, 4-star hotels offer:
- Seating in the lobby with beverage service.
- Reception is staffed 16h
- Spacious, first-class equipped rooms with TV and safe
- Bathroom with cosmetics
- Bathrobe and slippers available on request
- Breakfast buffet with hot infusion drinks
- Possibility of room service
- Evening menu with 4 courses or wide buffet selection
- More services available such as massages or walking tours
- Laundry and ironing service
Meets all requirements of a 4-star-hotel and offers even more in terms of environment, comfort and services.
- Guests are welcomed with a gift
- Reception is staffed 24 hours a day
- Own garage
- Outstanding rooms, exclusive and luxurious furnishings
- Bathroom with body care products in individual flacons, bathroom scales, hair shampoo, illuminated cosmetic mirror
- Hand and bath towels are changed daily
- Internet terminal in the room on request
- Food and beverages are offered 24 hours a day as part of the room service
- Á la carte menu with at least 5 dishes for each course
- Show kitchen - freshly prepared food in front of the guests
- 24-hour snack bar
- Various wellness and leisure activities
The quality symbol of private landlords – the sun.
Suns are the quality symbol for private landlords: Guest rooms and holiday flats (B&B, farms, bed and breakfasts) in South Tyrol. They provide information about the quality standard: the more suns, the higher the quality of the accommodation. These private accommodations are not classified as business establishments and offer a maximum of 8 rooms or 5 apartments. Food and drinks are only served to house guests.
The classification is made based on a survey form with relevant information regarding accommodation, furnishings, equipment of the rooms, service and additional criteria such as environmentally friendly measures, child-friendliness or the offer of own products. This is followed by an inspection visit by the State Office for Tourism, during which the data provided is checked and possibly corrected. 5 suns are only awarded if the accommodation achieves the classification as a 4-sun establishment and meets additional highlighted criteria.
- Simple accommodation, meets the minimum requirement
- Functional furnishing of the room/apartment
- Own washbasin
- Cleaning and linen change 1 time per week
- Simple and well-maintained accommodation
- Private bathroom with shower/bathtub and WC
- Hot running water around the clock
- Pleasant accommodation
- Separate bathroom
- Well-equipped and comfortable room/apartment
- Comfortable accommodation
- Additional facilities to make your stay even more pleasant
- Separate bathroom
- First-class rooms/apartments
- Separate bathroom
- Additional living comfort and service
Farm holidays in South Tyrol - the flowers as a seal of quality.
Farm holidays have a unique charme. The warm hospitality and the connection to the host family convey a feeling of comfort and belonging. You immediately get to talk to real South Tyroleans, get valuable insights and experience the country and its people in a genuine way. The farms offer a maximum of 5 holiday flats or 8 double rooms with a personal, alpine atmosphere in the middle of nature. The classification is done by the regional office for rural construction or the district office for agriculture responsible for the area. The farms are awarded so-called flowers, which indicate the stay’s quality and the exceptional farm experience.
- Beautiful, pleasant rooms with practical furnishings
- Own, heatable sanitary area with shower/bathtub and WC
- Comfortable and well-maintained rooms
- Additional facilities
- Private bathroom
- Special experience at the farm
- Upscale, high quality and contemporary rooms
- Excellent furnishings
- Own well-equipped bathroom
- Exceptional farm experience
- Farmhouse breakfast with farm products
- Sale of self-made farm products
- First class stylish rooms/apartments
- Wooden floor in bedroom
- Own luxurious bathroom
Additional services such as: Farm sale with at least four farm products from own production, optional breakfast also for residents of the holiday flats, opportunities to work on the farm, all-day presence of a family member as contact person
In addition to the flowers, some farms that offer farm holidays are members of the "Roter Hahn" (Red Rooster). This acts as a quality mark from the South Tyrolean Farmers' Association, because farms that join the Red Rooster have to make 3 promises:
- The farm is self-managed.
- Guests receive at least one farm product throughout the year.
- The owner of the farm also takes care of the guests himself.
In addition, since 2021, only farms with 2–5 flowers will be listed under "Roter Hahn".
Despite the categorization of farms in terms of quality, every farm has its own typical character and is devoted to a particular speciality depending on location and activity. Some farms are dedicated to livestock farming, while others are fruit or wine growers. Most of the time, the apartments and guest rooms are in the main building of the farm. In some cases, the accommodation is in a separate residential building.