How to reach the Plätzwiese in Prags
Just like the Three Peaks and Lake Prags, the Plätzwiese high plateau is one of the most visited places in the Dolomites. In order to preserve its particularity and to allow all the visitors to enjoy nature as quietly as possible, there are special traffic restrictions during the main season.
Framed by Dürrenstein and Hohe Gaisl, the Plätzwiese plateau is situated at around 2,000 meters above sea level in Prags. If you want to visit the idyllic high mountain pasture, you should inform yourself about the current regulations for access in summer and in winter.
Access with your own car
- From 10th July to 10th September, Prags will be closed to private traffic daily from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm. During this time, the valley can only be reached by bus, on foot, by bicycle or with a parking reservation or a valid transit permit.
- During this time, access to the Plätzwiese with your own car is only possible BEFORE 9:30 am and AFTER 4:00 pm.
- In addition, a fee must be paid for the driveway: The daily rate for cars is €10.00 or €7.00 from 4:00 pm – for motorbikes €8.00 or €6.00.
- The return trip out of the valley is possible throughout the day.
- Private buses and camper vans are not allowed to pass through all year round.
- The "Brückele" car park just before the driveway to the Plätzwiese offers a limited number of parking spaces, which are subject to a charge. From 10th July to 10th September, it is possible to reserve a parking space.
Access with the bus shuttle
- From 12th June to 17th October 2021, the bus line 443 is running between Welsberg or Toblach/Niederdorf and the Plätzwiese (timetable as pdf).
- This bus also stops at the "Brückele" car park.
- A reservation for the bus is not required.
- The tariffs and tickets of the transport association apply. Mobilcards and other advantage cards are also valid.
On foot or by bike
- Those who like hiking or biking, can reach the Plätzwiese high plateau in Prags at any time and without restriction. On foot, for example, you can start directly at the "Brückele" car park and hike along the wide gravel path to the Plätzwiese (walking time approx. 2-2.5 hours). The trail starting in Schmieden is somewhat longer (walking time approx. 3.5 hours).
- Cyclists reach the high plateau from Schmieden via trail no. 37 in about 2.5 hours, covering approx. 800 metres in altitude.
Tourist office Pragser Tal valley
+39 0474 748 660