The Local Tax in South Tyrol
Many popular tourist destinations all over the world are collecting a local tax from their guests already since years. Since the 1st of January 2014 you have to pay it also in South Tyrol.
With the money deriving from the local tax in South Tyrol, the tourist offices and associations are able to extend their programmes as well as the local infrastructure and to still guarantee their high quality. They can use a small part also for tourism advertisements.
The local tax amount complies with the accommodation type. As the tax often raises questions, we have collected the most important information on the tourism levy in South Tyrol.
The most important information
- According to the accommodation type, you have to pay the local tax between 0.85 € and 1.60 € per person and per day. However, the municipalities are able to raise the local tax to a maximum amount of 2.50 €, if the value benefits a special intention and if there is an assessment of the tourism organisation.
- Guests, who spend their holidays in 1-star or 2-star accommodations, on a camping, on a farm, in a youth hostel or in a private guesthouse will have to pay from 0.85 € per day.
- In a 3-star or in a 3-star superior accommodation, a tax from 1.20 € is applied.
- In all accommodations having 4 stars and more, you will pay 1.60 € per day and person.
- Children and adolescents under 14 years of age are exempt from local taxes.
The tax is only payable on departure in your accommodation and must be visible separately on the bill. This way, you should have a good overview as you see which amount does not benefit your host, but the local infrastructure.