Typical South Tyrolean dishes
How to decipher South Tyrolean menus: For a better understanding of the menus in South Tyrol, we give you a translation of the most typical dishes.
"Gselchtis" and "Krapflan": Do you know what these names mean? In this glossary you will find some important translations.
Glossary of typical dishes
- Bockans: roast mutton
- Grantn: montain cranberries
- Graukas: it is an alpine pasture cheese
- Gselchtis: smoked beef
- Kaminwurzn: kind of smoked sausages
- Keschtn: chestnuts
- Krapflan: cakes cooked in hot oil filled with different types of jam
- Marillnknedl: sweet dumplings with apricots, served as dessert
- Nuier: new wine
- Schworzplentinaknedl: dumplings with buckweath-flour
- Selchkaree: smoked rips from pork