Homecoming of livestock in Vinschgau
The traditional homecoming of livestock had always great importance in South Tyrol and many villages celebrate it also today. Here you can find the most important events in Vinschgau!
The magnificent spectacle takes place every year in late summer or at the beginning of autumn. The livestock comes back from the meadows in the mountains, where it spent the whole summer. Now it’s time to bring the cows and sheep down into the valley before the winter begins.
In many villages the homecoming of livestock is one of the most important events of the year. It is a seasonal turning point for every farmer and the whole village community comes together and celebrates that everything had gone well in the summer months. Frequently the animals are decorated festively and the herdsmen will be received with music and typical specialities in the village.
The most important homecomings of livestock in Vinschgau 2019:
- 7th September: "Schafschoad" – homecoming of the sheep in Langtaufers
- 7th September: homecoming of livestock in Tarsch
- 8th September: homecoming of livestock in Burgeis/Mals
- 8th September: homecoming of livestock in Martell
- 8th September: homecoming of livestock in Reschen
- 9th September: homecoming of livestock in Kortsch
Tourist information Vinschgau
tel: +39 0473 620480
Tourist information Reschenpass
tel: +39 0473 633101
Photos © Frieder Blickle