Mentioned in documents for the first time in 1238, but maybe already earlier, Kastelbell Castle was built by the lords of Montalban. In 1531, after many changes of ownership, the castle passed to the Hendl family. The family made several extensions and modifications.
Decay and reconstruction
Originally, the Hendl family was a simple family that was nominated as counts thanks to their merits in the administration and defence of the region in 1697. After the fires in 1813 and 1824, the Hendl counts rebuilt only a small part of the castle for residential use. Large part of castle decayed.
At the end of decades of legal disputes, count Siegmund von Hendl and the Italian Republic came to terms. This allowed the state to buy the castle and to refurbish it. Since 2008, Kastelbell Castle has been in the possession of the province of South Tyrol. Since 1999, the municipality of Kastelbell-Tschars has entrusted the advisory board Kastelbell Castle with the management and administration of the castle.
Exhibitions and guided tours
With the romantic castle courtyard, the smoke-blackened kitchen and the Roman frescoes in the chapel, Kastelbell Castle in Vinschgau offers many worth-seeing attractions. In addition to the permanent exhibition about the Via Claudia Augusta, there are temporary art exhibition in spring and in autumn. Also, Kastelbell Castle is a famous location for concerts and other cultural events.
More info & opening hours:
Tourist office Kastelbell-Tschars
Phone: +39 0473 624193