Funny race with mountaincarts
Mountaincarts are something like the go carts of the mountains. Small vehicles with three wheels, without pedals and without motor, so that they do not cause noise or emissions. In fact, they are perfect for descending forest trails across woods and meadows. Thanks to their low centre of gravity, the wide wheel base and the excellent brakes, mountaincarts are characterised by high stability and a secure driving pleasure for kids and adults.
Mountaincarts in South Tyrol
In South Tyrol, this fun sport equipment is available for rental in several hiking areas. First, you can ascent the mountain by cable car and then you descend it with your mountaincart. Frequently, the descent takes place on wide forest trails that are use as toboggan runs in winter. Every rider can decide on how fast he wants to go. Good shoes (no sandals) are important, a helmet is rent together with the mountain cart.
Rental stations for mountaincarts can be found here:
- Plose near Brixen: 9 km long track starting at the top station of the cable car
(expected to reopen in summer 2023)
- Pfelders in Passeiertal: 3.5 km long track
- Watles in Vinschgau: 4 km long track from the top to the valley station
- Ladurns in Pflersch Valley: 6.5 km long track from Ladurner Alm to the car park
- Schnals: 3.3 km long track from the top station Lazaun to the valley station at Kurzras
The mountain cart rental stations are mostly open during the long summer season, depending on the area daily or on single weekdays only. The rental costs between 8.50 € and 12 € per ride (plus ascent with cable car).
Depending on the provider, kids can drive with mountain cart by themselves only from a certain age or the presence of an adult supervisor can be necessary.