Climbing parks in Eisacktal
In comparison to the neighbouring Dolomites the valley Eisacktal doesn’t have such a great selection for climbers. Anyway there are waiting some commendable crags with quite long tradition.
Kleine Rotwand - Karersee
This climbing area with five sectors is characterized by a uniquely scenic position at the foot of Mt. Rotwand. For skilled climbers there are mainly overhanging rock faces of dolomite.
- Journey: From Bozen into the valley Eggental, to Welschnofen and onward to Karer pass; then turn towards Niger pass and park after 1 km on the parking site on the right.
- Access: Starting on the parking place a path leads into the forest; at a crossway you have to follow the direction signs with the number 9, then the ways diverge depending on the different sectors;
- Routes: 13 routes up to 5c, 28 between 6a and 6c, 25 between 7a and 7c and 1 8a.
Zanser Alm - Villnöss
In the valley of Villnöss there are available climbing routes in all levels of difficulty. An advantage for families: the child-friendly environs – and for landscape lovers: the marvellous view to the mountains of the Geisler group.
- Journey: From Brixen or Klausen into the valley of Villnöss, then onward to the mountain hut Zanser Alm on the top of the valley with chargeable parking site.
- Access: Follow the forest road towards “Schlüterhütte”; next to a bridge you take the “Adolf Munkel” path (number 35), turn to your left on the first road junction and move on to the rock faces.
- Routes: 7 tours in the degrees of difficulty 3 and 4, 19 between 5a and 5c, 20 more up to 6c and 1 7a, 1 7c and 1 8a.
Mahr - Brixen
This crag is located directly next to the Brenner highway near Brixen. Hard to believe, but true: You will hardly hear the traffic noise. As regards the climbing tours beginners will find suitable projects as well as trained climbers.
- Journey: From Brixen to Klausen, in the industrial district you have to move on towards Tschötsch; when you see some buildings, you will also view the climbing rocks; park in the lay-by on the right side of the road.
- Access: In 5 minutes from the orchard to the rock faces.
- Routes: 4 routes up to 5a, 13 more up to 6a, 16 between 6b and 7a and 9 tours between 7b and 8b.
Hohe Festung - Franzensfeste
This small but nice and climbing park is located next to the impressing fortification called Franzensfeste. The quite new crag is an ideal terrain for beginners and advanced – and also for climbing kids.
- Journey: From Brixen towards Franzensfeste; after the fortress you have to turn to your left and to park below the motorway.
- Access: First you follow the path underneath the railroad line, then the signposted trail that leads in about 15 minutes to the climbing park.
- Routes: 4 routes in the degrees of difficulty 3 and 4, 7 between 5a and 5c, 8 more up to 6c.