10 beautiful viewpoints in South Tyrol
Several viewing platforms are located only a few minutes on foot from the mountain station of a lift and can be reached easily during most of the year. Others are situated near a ski lift allowing to reach the platforms also in winter. An some of our favourites can be reached only via a hiking path or a mountain bike trail.
Accessible in summer and in winter
- Mt. Kronplatz is not only a magnificent ski mountain, but also an excellent panoramic summit. From its top, you are offered breath-taking views of the main Alpine Ridge and of the Dolomites. Above the platform, there is Concordia 2000 peace bell, ringing at 12 am every day. Several lift facilities allow you to reach the summit directly.
- Not very far from the mountain station of Oberholz lift, there is the Latemar 360-degree platform. Here, in the heart of Obereggen ski and hiking area in Eggental, the Dolomites display their most enchanting view.
- Near the summit cross of Seceda in the famous South Tyrolean holiday region Gröden, visitors have a fantastic view of the Dolomites, but also of the Brenta, Adamello and Ortler Group or of the Ötztal and Stubai Alps. Furnes-Seceda cableway allows you to reach the summit starting in St. Ulrich.
- Engelrast viewing platform on Seiser Alm can be reached by Puflatsch lift and guarantees wonderful views of the Dolomites, from Mt. Schlern to Mt. Langkofel and Sella Group.
Viewing platforms accessible in winter
- In the Gitschberg Jochtal skiing and hiking region, the viewing platform on top of Mt. Gitschberg can be reached by a chairlift. It offers a fascinating panoramic view of more than 500 peaks – from the Dolomites to Brenta Group as well as of the Zillertal, Stubai and Ötztal Alps.
- Rosskopf panoramic platform is located a little bit below the homonymous summit. The view goes from Tibulaun massif to the Zillertal Alps and the Dolomites to the Sarntal and Stubai Alps. First you can take the cableway from Sterzing to Rosskopf hiking and skiing area. The Panorama Telemix lift takes you up to the peak.
- From the viewing platform on Rittner Horn, you can enjoy breath-taking views of the Dolomites, the Sarntal and the Stubai Alps. From Pemmern, a cableway brings you to Mt. Schwarzseespitze. From there, a small lift takes skiers very close to the platform.
Rewarded by a wonderful view
- Vinschgau as well offers a wonderful mountain world: From Taufers in Münstertal you can hike to Tellajoch with a viewing platform showing the peaks of Ortler and Sesvenna Group.
- Kreuzjoch panoramic platform is located at 2,086 m on the European Hiking Trail E5, on track between Meran hut in Meran 2000 ski and hiking area and Jenesien. This viewpoint fascinates by a varied mountain scenery – from the Dolomites to the Sarntla Alps, to Texel and Brenta Group, to Ortler massif.
- Moreover, the Dolomites – UNESCO World Natural Heritage – offer several world heritage terraces, two of them can be found in South Tyrol. The first terrace was built on Mt. Strudelkopf in Fanes-Sennes-Prags Nature Park, the second on Mastlé hut in Puez-Geisler Nature Park near the top station of Col Raiser lift.