Moonlight & night-time tobogganing
Lit with floodlight or under by the light of the full moon only – in South Tyrol, many toboggan runs are open also in the evening.
A sleigh ride through a snow-covered landscape is funny not only during the day. In the evening, with a starlit sky and moonlight, tobogganing in the romantic winter landscape is a very special experience. Making a stop in a cosy mountain hut or inn completes this wonderful activity perfectly.
Lift facilities to the start of the toboggan run
Many ski areas in South Tyrol offer a comfortable way of night-time tobogganing on several evenings of the week: The ascent to the lit toboggan run is made with a cableway or chairlift with extended opening hours.
- Ski area Rosskopf: with the Rosskopf cableway to the 10 km long toboggan run (Tuesday and Friday evening)
- Ski area Plose: with the Plose cableway to the 9 km long toboggan run RudiRun (Friday evening)
- Ski area Klausberg: with the cableway K-Express to the 5 km long toboggan run (Tuesday evening)
- Ski area Watles: with the chairlift to the 4 km long toboggan run (Tuesday evening)
- Ski area Obereggen: with the Ochsenweide cableway to the 2.5 km long toboggan run (Tuesday, Thursday and Friday evening)
- Ski area Kronplatz: with the Korer cableway to the 1.5 km long toboggan run (Saturday evening) or with the Cianross cableway in St. Vigil to the 500 m long toboggan run (Tuesday and Thursday evening)
At 3 Zinnen Dolomites ski area, you can access the 2 km long toboggan run with Haunold chairlift on Tuesday and Friday evening; this toboggan run is not lit.
On foot to the lit toboggan runs
For many night-time tobogganers, a toboggan excursion without an excursion on foot is only half fun. Here are just some recommendations for all those who appreciate lit toboggan runs, but without ascending by lift facilities:
- Ski area Schöneben-Haideralm: the 1.5 km long Vallierteck toboggan run in Reschen or the 800 m long Talaiwald toboggan run in St. Valentin (every evening)
- Ski area Schwemmalm: the 500 m long toboggan run below Moscha competition route, car park next tot the valley station of the chairlift (Wednesday evening)
- Ski area Sulden: the connecting slope between the Kanzel and the cableway becomes a 2 km long toboggan run (Thursday evening)
There are lit toboggan runs for night-time tobogganing far from the ski areas too and with cosy mountain huts – for instance Tristenbach toboggan run in Weißenbach in Tauferer Ahrntal or Atscherwiesn toboggan run in Tefes/Ratschings in Eisacktal.
If you ascend and descend a toboggan run at full moon, you can experience the winter landscape in a very special way. Several huts at unlit toboggan runs are open for moonlight tobogganers on request also in the evening such as Welschellener Alm in Welschellen/Enneberg or are open at several winter evenings such as Geisleralm in St. Magdalena/Villnöss.
Tips for moonlight tobogganing
To make moonlight tobogganing a wonderful experience together with friends and the family, you should consider the security tips for tobogganers. Reticence regarding the consumption of alcohol is required in order to stay safe.
It is important as well to bring a headlight if the toboggan run is not sufficiently lit with floodlight. If you ascend on foot, please bring clothes to change.
Just as for all toboggan excursions, you should inform yourselves in advance about the opening times and whether they are lit and how the snow and weather conditions are. Is it necessary to contact the hut (mainly for groups)? Is there a toboggan rental?