Trostburg near Waidbruck
Those who would like to follow in the tracks of the medieval singer and poet Oswald von Wolkenstein are at the Trostburg on the right place. The medieval castle is located on a small hill above Waidbruck. The history of the magnificent castle complex goes back to the 12th century.
The castle in Waidbruck which was mentioned around 1173 for the first time, was the seat of "Cunrat Trosperch" (Conrad of Trostberg) who belonged to the lords of Kastelruth. In the following century the castle passed for almost 600 years into the possession of the Counts of Wolkenstein Trostburg, the ancestors of the late medieval poet-composer Oswald von Wolkenstein (1377-1445), who grew up here.
Between the 14th and 16th century the palace complex had been generously extended. Later, in the 17th century Count Engelhard Dietrich von Wolkenstein restyled the Trostburg in Renaissance style. Since 1981, the castle is owned by the South Tyrolean Castles Association, who restored the castle and made it accessible to the public.
One of the many attractions in the castle in the Eisacktal is the magnificent Knight´s Hall. Visitors will also admire the triple-domed Gothic room and the magnificent rooms with wood panels of the 16th and 17th century. Here you can see even South Tyrolean largest wine press. The Trostburg is the seat of the permanent exhibition “Castles- Constructions by history”.
Opening times and tours:
- Tuesday before Eastern until end of June: 11a.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- July and August: 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- September until end of October: 11 a.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Burgfrieden-Weg 22, Waidbruck
Phone: +39 0471 654401