Gardena Castle in St. Christina
The castle designed in Renaissance style is located between St. Christina and Wolkenstein – not far from the local stream and the famous Saslong ski run. It was built between 1622 and 1641 by Earl Engelhard Dietrich von Wolkenstein-Trostburg and for a long time it was used as place of court of Wolkenstein. In defiance of its fortified appearance it was a summer residence and a hunting lodge.
At the end of the 18th century, Gardena Castle decayed more and more. Also as the owner at that time – always the local earls – gave it the municipalities of Wolkenstein and St. Christina as a present, the dilapidation was not stopped. On the contrary, because there was established a poorhouse. Only when the Baron Carlo Franchetti from Venice acquired the estate, the old splendor came back: He restored it outside and provided it with furnishings from Gröden and South Tyrol.
Till today the Gardena Castle in Gröden is in possession of the noble Venetian family, so it isn’t accessible for visitors. In summer, however, on the occasion of the event series valgardenaMusika, in the wonderful gardens of the castle there sometimes take place concerts.