The castle is an archaeological museum in best conditions with a circular wall, built already in 1100, which is one of the oldest and best-conserved fortification walls. The marble portals from the 12th century decorated with symbols and sculptures are considered an original monument of the Romanesque art in entire Tyrol.
The chapel accommodates frescoes from the 13th century, a crucifixion group from the 14th century as well as the oldest Tyrolean glass paintings.
However, the South Tyrolean Museum of Culture and Provincial History does not only deal with the Middle Ages. In fact, it also displays the eventful history of South Tyrol and offers interesting and changing exhibitions.