Sanctuary of Maria Trens
The Sanctuary of Maria Trens in Eisacktal is one of the most important pilgrimage destinations in South Tyrol. It was built in 1498 in Gothic style and contains an impressive standing Virgin Mary with a child in her arms. According to the legend, the inhabitants of Trens found the wooden statue in the rubble of a landslide.
In honor of the miraculous Madonna, many pilgrims brought so called “votive tablets” and a painting, which shows the moveing of the statue to the new chapel. In the 18th century, Adam Mölk has given the church its Baroque look.
The popular pilgrimage route leads through the whole village and is, since ages, attracting a large numbers of devout pilgrims who come from all over.