Road bike tours in Vinschgau & Meran
Al road bikers that cannot wait to take out their bikes at the end of winter, will find excellent training conditions in Meran and environs as well as in Vinschgau. Already in February, sometimes, you can cycle on Via Claudia Augusta cycle path in the valleys. In spring, road biking offers beautiful views thanks to the flowering apple trees. When the temperatures rise in summer, road bikers prefer cycling at higher altitudes.
Many road bike tours can be shortened by doing a track with the means of public transport. Between the end of April and the end of October, there is a separate bike transport on trucks between Meran and Mals, as there are only limited possibilities to take the bikes with you in the trains in Vinschgau. More information is available on the article about tips for bikers in Vinschgau. Alternatively, Südtirol Rad or Papin Sport offer numerous rental stations with all kind of bikes.
Dreamlike views in Vinschgau
- From the train station in Spondinig it goes to Schluderns, Glurns and Mals, Lake Haider, Schöneben, Reschen and Reschen pass (1,504 m). From there, the descent goes back on the side of the valley via Graun at Lake Reschen to Spondinig. The tour is 62 km long and has a difference of altitude of 760 m.
- This tour is 55 km long (1,160 m) and offers dreamlike views. From the train station in Mals you can comfortable roll to Schluderns. Near Churburg Castle, it goes up to Tanas, Alitz and Laas. From there, it goes on to Tschengls, Prad, Glurns, Schleis, Burgeis and back to Mals.
Side valleys in Vinschgau
- The 52 km long tour (1,350 m) is on Etschtal cycle path and goes from Latsch to Naturns, Kastelbell, Goldrain, Martell Valley and Lake Zufritt (1,850 m). After a short stop at the end of the road, you can go back on the same road to Meran.
- From Naturns, there is another road bike tour to Schnals Valley, with numerous turns and a long tunnel. The target point is Vernagt reservoir (1,689 m) and there is the possibility to continue the tour until Kurzras. The total length, then, is about 52 km (1,550 m). The descent is made on the same road.
Not only Vinschgau
- Our 59 km long circular tour (1,450 m) to Tschögglberg starts in Meran and goes to Hafling, Vöran, Mölten, Verschneid, Terlan and Burgstall before getting back to Meran. The tour is also possible the other way round.
- Ultental Valley is one of the most authentic valleys in South Tyrol. Road bikers start in Lana and cycle along different villages and Zoggler reservoir to St. Gertraud. Arrived here, there comes the most beautiful track to Lake Weißbrunn (1,872 m). The return is made on the same road. The tour has a length of 40 km and 1,600 m of altitude difference.