Avalanche report for ski touring
Alpine ski touring is one of the most popular outdoor sports for those who like the silence of untouched nature in winter. But during ski tours you have to assume the risk of avalanches.
Avalanche warning levels
- 1 - low risk: The blanket of snow is firm and stable. Avalanches break only by high pressure. You can go alpine ski touring without many risks.
- 2 - moderate risk: Most of all accidents happened when there is moderate risk. High pressure can break avalanches.
- 3 - serious risk: The blanket of snow is not very much firm and stable. Already low pressure can cause avalanches. Under these conditions alpine ski touring involves many risks.
- 4 - big risk: The blanket of snow is not firm. Also, spontaneous avalanches are possible. Don’t go alpine ski touring!
- 5 - huge risk: The blanket of snow is not firm and very unstable, also in flat slopes. Don’t go alpine ski touring!
Security tips & information about avalanches
- Avalanche forecast: The weather is a key factor for forecasting avalanche activity. Before starting out for a tour you should always take a look at current avalanche report.
- Fresh snow: Fresh fallen snow is dangerous and easy to recognise and avoid.
- Wind: Wind can rapidly deposit snow in slabs with can avalanche easily.
- Sun and heat: When new snow falls on a sun crust, it’s important to check out whether the sun crust is wet or frozen when the snow starts. If it's wet, the new snow will stick to it and you most likely won't have any immediate avalanche problem, but if the crust is frozen, then the new snow does not tend to bond very well. Sun crusts we find them on southeast, south, southwest and west facing slopes.
- Avalanche detector, blade and avalanche sensor;
- Control if the detectors are on;
- Ski with ski stopper and not with a fix back strap;
- Always enter alone in avalanche danger zones;
- Do several slope cuts;
- Keep an eye on your partners.
Popular accommodation in South Tyrol
WINKLER Sport - Spa - Family
The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. Also very friendly. The food is amazing. We enjoyed the abondance of activities for all ages.
Kindness of Irene, our host. My kids worked to cut grass and feed animals. I had to swear to them we'll come back as soon as possible. Beautiful view from home, very nice and clean apartment. A dream holiday for city people like us
Recently booked accommodation
Bruneck at Mt. Kronplatz
Directly in the centre of Bruneck with á la carte restaurant, wellness area, car park or garage, free shuttle to Kronplatz, bicycle rental. Open all the year round!
Kiens at Mt. Kronplatz
Unforgettable holidays at the foot of Mt. Kronplatz, excellent cuisine, wellness area with various saunas, indoor pool and whirlpool, natural bathing pond and garden with sunbathing lawn.
Events in South Tyrol
01.07.2020 - 26.08.2020
Long Shopping Wednesdays
The mild summer evenings in Eppan at the Wine Route invite to shop, to stroll along the alleys and to enjoy a pleasant evening with good food.
03.08.2020 - 09.09.2020
The Festival Badiiamusica is a declaration of love to chamber music and celebrates the joint enjoyment of the quiet sounds.
01.08.2020 - 30.08.2020
Bolzano Festival Bozen
In occasion of the Bolzano Festival Bozen, around 500 international musicians perform at extraordinary locations and transform the province’s capital into the epicentre of classical music!