The marble quarries of Laas
The Laas marble is famous all over the world and is used for construction, architecture and art. The Laas marble is extracted from the massive "Jenn" at 1526 m in the tunnel and in the quarry Covelano at 2170m in open air.
In Laas, marble is extracted in a systematic manner by the middle of last century. In 1848 the mining rights were purchased by Bernhard Schweizer, stonemason of Munich, a supplier of marble to Schwanthaler, the sculptor of Ludwig I of Bavaria. In 1865, he founded the Karlsruhe Johannes Steinhäuser "Marmorwerke Laaser," the first company.
Goes especially to these people the credit for having made known the wonderful marble of Laas virtually anywhere in the world: Singapore, Riyadh, Kuala Lumpur, Auroville (India), Abu-Dhabi, Memphis Tennessee, to list just some of the most famous.
Features marble of Laas
The marble of Laas is without doubt one of the finest in the world. Experts appreciate his consistent look, with the characteristic color of translucent white with slight shadows, streaks or absence of yellowing. Another main feature of Laas marble is its resistance to extreme external influences such as salt, alternating frost-dew, weather and pollution.
The marble of Laas is not the same, depending on the color and grain, we have: Laas Bianco line, which is divided into: Pearl, Statuary, Classic, Ortles, Cloud and the line Laas Veined: Vena Gold, Vena Verde, Apple blossom, Cevedale, Arabescato.
There are many architects and sculptors from all around the world that have used the marble of Laas, especially the neoclassical architecture of the great European cities like Vienna, Munich and Berlin.
Among the most famous works include the monumental fountain of Pallas Athena in front of the Parliament building in Vienna, the monument of Queen Victoria in front of Buckingham Palace in London and the monument of Heinrich Heine in New York. Very suggestive also more than 90,000 white marble crosses, wanted by the Americans to the graves of U.S. soldiers killed during the II World War and stationed in their military cemeteries across four continents.